If you have missing teeth, dentures make such a dramatic difference in your life. They allow you to smile again without feeling self-conscious and to enjoy your meals again too. Because of this, you’ll want to keep your replacement teeth in great shape. Fortunately, it’s not too hard. Enjoy your full smile for many years to come by following our tips for dentures do’s and don’ts.
If you’ve lost teeth, our team is happy to talk to you about dentures and other possible teeth replacements. Call us today at 832-463-1021 for a consultation in our Houston office.
In the meantime, check out our dentures care tips:
- DO Brush Dentures Every Day – Just like natural teeth, you need to brush your dentures every day to keep them free of plaque and bacteria. As with natural teeth, use a soft-bristled brush and a gentle touch. A special denture brush is especially effective. Avoid abrasive toothpastes. They can scratch your dentures, creating a surface that will more easily collect bacteria. Instead of toothpaste, you can use a mild dish soap; just be sure to rinse thoroughly before reinserting your dentures.
- DON’T Use Whitening Products – Whitening products like the strips sold at drugstores won’t work on dentures and might damage them. If your dentures seem dingy, you can soak them in a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water. Use a formula of 1:1. Bonus: the solution will also help kill bacteria.
- DON’T Use Harsh Substances – In addition to abrasive toothpaste, you shouldn’t use products containing bleach or chlorine on your dentures. Never use any household cleaner, as they often contain chemicals that can harm dentures and may be dangerous for you. Vinegar is another no-no.
- DO Treat Dentures With Care – Handle your dentures with care to avoid damaging them. When cleaning dentures over a sink, it’s best to first put down a towel or fill the sink with water. That way dentures won’t break if they slip out of your hands.
- DON’T Use Hot Water for Soaking or Cleaning – Boiling or very hot water can cause dentures to warp, adversely affecting how they fit. Stick to lukewarm water when cleaning and soaking replacement teeth.
- DO Take Dentures Out at Night – It can be tempting to leave dentures in while you sleep, but we recommend taking them out before turning in for the night. It’s a great time to soak them in a cleaning solution and to give your gums a break from the pressure. They do need to be kept moist when out of your mouth, even with plain water, so they won’t lose their shape.
- DON’T Skip Regular Dental Exams – See our dentists at least once every six months for a dental exam. We’ll check the fit and condition of your dentures, along with other aspects of your oral health. We can usually make small repairs, if your dentures need them.
- DO Consider Dental Implant Dentures – For the feel and performance most like natural teeth, you should consider attaching dentures to dental implants. Unlike standard removable dentures, implants keep you from suffering the bone loss in your jaw that can make your face look older. Plus implant dentures stay securely in place with no adhesive needed, and they never need to be relined to maintain a snug fit.
We’re happy to talk to you more about dentures do’s and don’ts when you visit our office. Call 832-463-1021 today to schedule an appointment.